Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Spaced out

Looks like the catastrophic HR 3200 hasn't got the chance of a snowball in hell, which is a good thing. I understand the Comrade had all the Blue Dog Democrats up to the White House, but apparently wasn't able to budge them. Michael Steele, chairman of the Republican National Committee, asked "Why the rush?" Yeah, why?

Well, because if anyone actually reads this bill, it's goin' down.

The Comrade is doing a press conference or something tomorrow -- actually tonight, since it's after midnight. Perhaps he's going to unveil the budget numbers or whatever it's called. The nation's mid-year financial statement. It was due, but not released. Think the Comrade wants the nation to see that mess before they vote on socialized medicine?

I sincerely hope with all my heart that bill goes down. I'm still having a tough time trying to figure out exactly why anyone who proclaims to be an American would work so bloody hard to destroy the nation.

Was going to actually join the Republican party and actually do some volunteer work in 2010 to change the make-up of the House. Have to -- at the very least -- reduce the majority. The way things are right now, might be some kind of 1994-all-over-again Republican sweep.

At any rate, then the local Republicans had to put up Mark Kirk for the US Senate -- the seat now filled by Roland Burris on a deal with Blagojovich. The Comrade's old seat. Anyway, I hate Mark Kirk. He voted for crap-and-trade. I don't care about anything else he's done (and I can just imagine!), I wouldn't vote for Kirk-the-jerk for dog-catcher. I'm not in his congressional district, but his district borders mine. I have a Democrat rep. Between her and Kirk, not a lot of difference. So we'll see if the Libertarians run anyone, or I'll leave that space blank.

They should have "NONE OF THE ABOVE" as an option on the ballot, but I'm sure the major parties don't want to hear it. Or even know about it.

Happier subject.... July 20... yesterday or the day before.... was the 40th anniversary of the Moon Walk. Not Michael Jackson, the real Moon Walk. I remember when that happened. Still in my hippy days, sharing an apartment and doing factory work, and in a labor union. We had a little black and white TV. It was freakin' amazing. Just thinking, "They're on the moon!"

America's "high water mark"?

July 20 was also the anniversary of 1st Manassas, 1861. Perhaps the "low water mark," apart from this year. First set battle of the Civil War, and the Union ran like little girls. Actually more complicated, but I don't want to go into it.

What I really wanted to mention was Buzz Aldrin. Greta Van Susteren did a really good interview with him. She's a really good journalist. He must be getting pretty old, and the Moon Walk was 40 years ago... but still, when he starts talking about the moon and Mars, especially, he lights up. Honestly, you can see probably exactly the same excitement and enthusiasm he had when he climbed into the craft for the launch of Apollo 11.

Cute... Van Susteren asked him, "Did you bring back any souvenirs from the moon?"

He was sitting back in his chair, pretty relaxed, smiling, and said, "Me!"

Love him.

Where did America lose it? Now we're fighting over perks and freebies from the feds. I'm glad I was alive to see the Moon Walk. But you see, when you know what the human race is really capable of -- the greatness....

In literature, if you want to create a tragedy, you have to have the hero fall from a great height. It's something like that.

No comments: