Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Don't forget Rick Perry

In my little survey the other day about the current Republican field, I didn't mention Rick Perry. I don't think he's got much of a chance right now -- too many gaffes -- but he seems to have improved quite a bit from his first debate appearances, and I think he has some really killer TV ads going.

What I love about his ideas -- and I guess this one comes from his book -- is that as he says, he wants to make Washington DC "inconsequential" in the lives of most Americans.

Love it! I even love the approach and the way it's phrased.

I will also not criticize anything Texas does on immigration because they have a long, long border with Mexico and have been dealing with immigration issues in more depth than just about anyone else, and since Texas joined the union. Matter of fact, Texas' border with Mexico has had historical problems... but we won't go into that here.

Anyway, Rick Perry started off on the worng foot, just kind of got tossed into the pile-up while the game was in play. I think he's adjusting -- making him a pretty quick learner. But it may be too late to repair his rank in the primaries. The trouble was the very high expectations when he announced his candidacy -- before he was really up to steam.

I've noticed, though, that several other candidates have borrowed from Rick Perry. In fact, if the debates are doing something really terrific, they're providng a cross-pollination of ideas. Sort of building a platform as the debates continue. It's kinda cool to see this evolve.

Also thought Rick Perry was A.) way too stiff and formal; and B.) too pugnacious in the first couple debates. He came off as a kind of a bully. He's really not. As he more or less grows into the race, he's getting a lot more likable. He seems a lot more comfortable.

On the other hand, Bachman is getting more and more aggressive, it seems. And no matter what her point, if she's right or wrong, when she goes on the attack, she loses points -- for the same reason Rick Perry did as he attacked Romney early on.

I'm sure Newt Gingrich's "we're all in this together" attitude is something that went a long way to resuurect him in the race. If there's anything I really hate, it's to see the candidates attacking each other. I hope it doesn't start now between Newt and Mitt. They'll both lose.

Anyway just thought this all was worth a mention. I think Rick Perry is being underestimated because of the bad start. But I also doubt he'll be able to capture the nomination -- this time. There will be other elections, as long as we can stop the Comrade from turning the USA into a dictatorial police state.

And that's it for now.

Save the Republic.

No comments: