Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Anybody but Obama

Well, today was a huge primary day -- 10 states all across the country.

Mitt Romney I believe won five of these. Santorum suprisingly strong -- surprising to me, anyway. I like him, but not a huge fan. Gingrich won Georgia big time. Ron Paul also ran well.

So it's looking more and more like Romney's a done deal. He's acceptable, as far the default campaign slogan goes: ANYBODY BUT OBAMA.

And actually I like Romney personally. He's just not my first choice. Partly it's the Romneycare thing in Massachusetts. I mean, I couldn't imagine myself, as a consrvative, being quite that flexible. But Massachusetts is probably the most genuinely liberal state in the union, excluding California, which is so bonkers it doesn't even really matter. (Can't be accounted for, except fo the availability of drugs there.)

Makes you wonder about Romney, though. If I could ask him one single question it would be:

Why do you want to be president?

He's been running for this specific office since 2004. And you could speculate that his whole career in politics only ever had the single ultimate aim of capturing the presidency.

But why, Mitt?

Because it's there? The venerable answer to the question about why climb Mt. Everest. That doesn't quite fit as well -- it's not quite so inspirational -- when the objectcive is President of the USA.

Because the USA's in deep doodoo? But he tried to run in 2008, too, when the nation wasn't in quite such dire straits.

So why, Mitt?

He's a well-educated, highly accomplished, articulate person with strong personal values and a lovely family. No skeletons in his closet.

So why hasn't he caught fire? That's another question.

I don't mind his reticence, if that's what you want to call it. He's not a guy you'd invite over for beers. Dinner, yeah. Beers and a football game, probably not. You'd feel like you'd have to watch your language.

One pundit said Mitt is suffering the backlash from "coming in and clobbering his opponents with money." Yeah. I think that's it. It looks so unethical. And actually two-faced and deceptive. Nice, friendly, smiling, well-groomed Mitt out there shaking hands and all.. at the same time his buddies in the super pac are shivving the competition.

I don't know why he's running, and he just suffocates the competition with money.

He's supposed to be running out of money, actually. so we'll see how it goes now.

And, anyway, I'll vote for him against the Comrade.

Save te Republic.

No comments: