Monday, December 27, 2010

Dr. Deathwish's end run around congress

Remember Dr. Deathwish -- actually Berwick, who's in love with British socialized medicine? Apparently what he likes the best is determining how long people should live, just like the Brits do with their misnamed N.I.C.E. committee, which draws up the guidelines for healthcare rationing in the U.K.

Anyway, a big objection many people had to the Comrade's original socialized medicine bill was what Sarah Palin dubbed "Death Panels." The bill paid and encouraged doctors to "counsel" their terminally ill patients about "alternatives" -- apparently alternatives to continuing to go on living. You know, like wipe out the old people -- I mean, what good are they anyway? -- and spend the socialized medicine funding on someone else. Probably members of Acorn, the SEIU or the UAW. But I digress.

The Comrade and merry marxists had to take the death panel provision out of the socialized medicine bill before anyone in congress would vote for it -- even those senators who ended up taking huge bribes to vote for it. I mean, even those morally-impaired scumbags -- Landrieu, Nelson, et. al. -- didn't want to vote for the death panels -- even if they were paid off. So the death panels came out of the bill.

But Dr. Deathwish has now enabled the death panels by some kind of decree. That is, he likes the ideas of death panels and rationing, and screw the public, he's going to have them.

Of course, some moron in congress named Bumhead or something like that was so overfilled with joy at thought of resurrecting the death panels that he couldn't restrain himself from making this public He wrote some kind of memo or news release or something about it, adding a cautionary note at the end, something to effect, "Hey, guys, don't let the public know about this because they won't like it."

BUT DO IT ANYWAY? Does he think we won't find out? Does it occur to him that this has been considered by congress and tossed out? Yeah. Ignore congress and screw the public. Our job here is just to pay for the executive branch's god fantasies.

(I'm trying to control my language here....it ain't easy.)

When my mom was about 75 years old, she had a heart valve replacement. The doctors told her she'd be dead within five years if she didn't have the operation, but would probably live another 10 years, at least, with the valve replacement. She opted to have the replacement. She made the decision herself. I'm sure she wanted to spend more time with the grandkids and great-grandkids. And why not? They all loved her, too.

So I was visiting her in the hospital after the operation. A teaching hospital. While I was there, a doctor brought in about a half-dozen students to look at my mom. (I'd had pneumonia in that hospital about 15 years prior, and they'd brought in a bunch of students to listen to my congested breathing.) Anyway, I went and stood in the hall while that was going on. While I was out there, one of students left the group and stepped out to talk to me. She was from China. I mean, like a Chinese national studying here.

She asked me, "If your mother is 75, do you think it was a really wise decision to extend her life?"

What? I'd never thought about it. It was my mom's decision. I thought it was up to her. I really didn't know what to say to the student. I thought it was a bizarre and somewhat mean-spirited thing to mention all the way around. Why was it any of her business? I told her that. I mean, the other alternative for my mom was to die.What would you do?

Then some other person who was helping the doctor herd the students around came over to get the Chinese girl back with the group. That person said to me, "I hope she didn't upset you."

I wasn't upset. I was confused. Why was it anybody's business? My mom had an operation and somehow it's a social issue? Of course, this was before the crackpot liberals seized control of the government and decided to dictate what kind of health care we can have. That kind power-mad life-and-death decision-making was, then, pretty much confined to the U.K. and to dictatorships like Red China. Where individual human lives don't seem to matter much.

By the way, Mom lived another 15 years or thereabouts. And she didn't die from heart trouble.

With socialized medicine, the rest of us, I guess, will die at 75. Or at the first signs of impending death? And you do know, in the words of Bob Dylan, if you ain't busy being born, you're busy dying. So where do you want to draw the line? This far, this age, and then you're no longer worth the medication? Exactly where and when and to whom does that happen? I think Dr. Deathwish has already outlived his usefulness already. Let's put him on an ice floe and set him adrift in the Bering Sea.Maybe the Russians will find some good in him and extend his life.

Having a somewhat weird and questionable love relationship with British National Health, Dr. Deathwish seems to believe he has the supernatural power to determine the value of each and every human life. Truth is, he's more likely just a power-crazed sociopath like all the rest of the merry marxists.

You know, Dr. Deathwish, in the U.S., we don't ration anything. We just make more. And my life span, like my mother's, is none of your goddamn business.

Save the Republic.

No comments: